Is Unpaid Debt Coming Back To Haunt You?

unpaid debtNothing is more alarming than being served with a lawsuit. It can be embarrassing, frightening, upsetting, and can cause a lot of anxiety.

Is your lawsuit based upon an unpaid debt? If so, take a deep breath and realize that you have options.

First, do not ignore it as ignoring the complaint will lead to you automatically losing the case and the debt collector getting a judgment against you. If that happens, the debt collector can garnish your wages or seize your bank account.

Now that you’ve decided not to ignore the complaint, what should you do? First, you need to determine by when you need to answer the complaint. Read the summons that is attached to the complaint and it will tell you how many days you have to respond. In West Virginia, you typically only have twenty days to answer following the day on which you are served, so do not delay.

Next, if you have been sued in West Virginia or Pennsylvania, call Hinkle Law, PLLC so that we can review the case with you at no charge. Many cases can be defended successfully, and sometimes we can even assert counterclaims in your favor. We can also go over all of your financial options, including bankruptcy, to help you decide which road you want to take.

If you were sued in a state other than West Virginia or Pennsylvania, go immediately to your local courthouse and ask for a form answer so you can properly answer your complaint. While the courthouse personnel cannot give you legal advice, they can point out which forms you should use. At the same time, find a consumer protection lawyer licensed in your state and set up an appointment as soon as possible.

Finally, consider this lawsuit as an opportunity to consider the options you have available to resolve all of your financial challenges. We all tend to put off dealing with our problems and instead, deal only with the immediate problem at hand. This lawsuit has perhaps captured your immediate attention for now, but how many other debts and lawsuits are lurking around the corner? Now is the time to face all of your financial issues and talk to a lawyer who can help you sort them out, solve your problems, and start over.