Having unpaid debts can be stressful. Being called and having letters sent to you by debt collection agencies can make a stressful situation even worse. However, even if you legitimately owe a debt, there are rules that debt collection agencies must follow. Most consumers don’t know that they have rights even if they owe a debt. Here are seven things (among others) that a debt collection agency cannot do when trying to collect from you:
1. Debt collection companies cannot lie to you. This is a pretty simple rule but one that is very important. Debt collection companies cannot lie about the amount of money that you owe. They cannot lie about who they are or what they can do to you if you don’t pay.
2. Debt collection companies cannot use profane language. Again, this is a very simple rule but one that is violated by debt collectors when they get in heated exchanges with consumers. Debt collectors cannot use foul language or curse at you when communicating with you.
3. Debt collection companies cannot call you at work. If a debt collector knows that you are not allowed to receive calls at work, then they cannot call you or communicate with you there.
4. Debt collection companies cannot call your family to collect a debt. Debt collectors often call family members of consumers in order to pressure the consumer to pay the debt. However, they can call family members to find out where you live. But they can only call a family member one time to find out your location info and they cannot call the family member if they know where you live.
5. Debt collection companies cannot call you before 8:00 am or after 9:00 pm.
6. Debt collection companies cannot disclose information to third parties. Debt collectors are prohibited from contacting people other than you or your spouse to collect a debt. This includes leaving voicemail messages where others can hear them.
7. Debt collection companies cannot threaten you with actions they don’t intend to take. If a debt collector threatens to sue, but if they can’t or don’t intend to they are in violation of collection rules.
8. These are just a few rules that apply to debt collection agencies. If you are getting calls from debt collectors call the attorneys at Hinkle Law, PLLC. Our lawyers can help you get relief from the harassing calls.